VRI Readiness0.55 Professional Study CEUsYear Around Event (2023)
Year Around Event (2023)
Cancellation & Refund Policy:
ASLIS requests payment to be made in advance. We do not process refunds after activity is approved and payment is complete.
If you are unable to complete this study for any reason, please contact CEUsponsor@aslis.com.
0.55 Professional Studies
So you've been asked to do
So you’ve been asked to do Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) work – where do you start? In this independent study, you will learn what VRI entails and hone in on non-technology details, including basic logistics and what questions to ask and topics to discuss when communicating with stakeholders and consumers (both Deaf and non-deaf). Stakeholders are people connected to the assignment but may not be direct consumers of the interpreting services (i.e., interpreting agency staff, hiring contact at the company, interpreter team, etc.).
This independent study focuses on information to gather and consider before the VRI assignment, including whether or not you have what you need to successfully complete the assignment. Topics to be covered include, but are not limited to, identifying key stakeholders, questions to ask that will help you identify the type of VRI setting, the goal of the session, details regarding the physical environment, and business practices related to the assignment.
1) Learn the history of VRI, including the needs it is intended to address, as well common advantages and disadvantages inherent in interpreting via technology at a distance.
2) Identify at least 3 consumers and/or stakeholders of any VRI setting.
3) List at least 3 questions to ask before any VRI assignment to identify key information you need to determine if you should accept or decline the assignment.
4) Describe 3 variations in business practices that may be unique to VRI settings.
5) Set up and practice with 2 commonly used VRI platforms: Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
6) Identify and document resources to assist in troubleshooting potential issues while doing VRI work.
Contact Us!Questions or Concerns?
ASL Interpreting Servicesinfo@aslis.com 5801 Duluth Street, Suite 106, Golden Valley, MN 55422