VRI in Medical Settings0.55 Professional Study CEUsYear Around Event (2023)
Year Around Event (2023)
Cancellation & Refund Policy:
ASLIS requests payment to be made in advance. We do not process refunds after activity is approved and payment is complete.
If you are unable to complete this study for any reason, please contact CEUsponsor@aslis.com.
0.55 Professional Studies
In this Independent Study, you will
In this Independent Study, you will explore video remote interpreting from several different angles, including that of the health care system and providers working within it, to the practices and insights of spoken language interpreters who have a longer history of providing services remotely. Finally, you will focus on reviewing resources and learning strategies for providing interpreting services from a distance for providers and Deaf patients. Research on patient satisfaction with ASL/English VRI services as well as minimal standards will be considered in terms of your work. Finally, common platforms used to provide VRI services in health care settings will be examined.
Important note: The focus of this independent study is on developing knowledge and skills in providing effective interpreting services in medical-related settings from a remote location. The presumption is that you already possess competencies and skills to effectively interpret on-site in medical settings. This independent study will build on that and will focus on the unique demands and considerations of interpreting remotely.
1) List at least 3 different types of medical appointments that may utilize VRI for Deaf patients.
2) Identify 3 concerns and/or goals a health care provider may have when offering care to a patient remotely and how that knowledge may impact your interpreting choices during a VRI assignment.
3) Identify 3 concerns and/or goals a Deaf patient may have when receiving care remotely with VRI services and how that knowledge may impact your interpreting choices during a VRI assignment.
4) Review the websites of VRI service providers and professional language interpreting organizations to identify at least 3 helpful resources to inform your work as an ASL/English video remote interpreter.
5) List at least 4 unique challenges and response options you have when you are providing VRI services where you are the only person not in the same location.
6) List at least 3 questions to ask before a medical VRI assignment to determine if you should accept the assignment or not.
7) Review and/or practice with commonly used VRI platforms used for medical appointments, noting resources for troubleshooting issues that may arise.
Contact Us!Questions or Concerns?
ASL Interpreting Servicesinfo@aslis.com 5801 Duluth Street, Suite 106, Golden Valley, MN 55422